Saturday, November 06, 2004

Thank God for Ice Cream

So, apparently the airline industry is complaining about the obese trying to fly. I've got to say this has to be my favorite news item of the past three months; the humor potential is endless.

That said, it raises a concern of mine that I've been ignoring for a while: being fat is okay.

Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with saying fat people are good people (it's true, there's not a higher level of jerk-ness among the obese), but saying there's nothing wrong with the obese is like saying there's nothing wrong kids in wheelchair. Of course there's something wrong with them, that's why there in a wheelchair! I'm not saying the quadriplegic are wrong and should be eliminated, I'm just saying we should acknowledge the fact that they do have a problem and we should be mindful of it.

With that in mind here's my thoughts on the, "saying fat is bad makes people anorexic," cry:

Shut the fuck up.

Seriously, my view is simple: if you're fat, most likely you got that way by your own actions (unlike say the quadriplegic where, dumb people who do it to themselves in freak accidents aside, it usually isn't something they did). While anorexia is a problem that isn't funny, telling people that being thin is better for them isn't a bad thing (the medical community usually knows what the hell it's talking about). There needs to be a distinction between, "thin," and, "rail/death thin," that's all.

Should people be comfortable with there bodies? Absolutely, but there's a fine line between accepting a level of extra-weight that's healthy and the amount found in a majority of Americans. I'd rather the obese kid down the hall didn't flop over from a heart attack than feel that being overweight is okay.

To me: obesity is like smoking, I'm fine with you deciding to do it, but don't come crying to me when you start to have health problems because of it. I mean, the smoking-obesity analogy isn't 100% accurate (obese-free flights would still be discrimination), but you hopefully understand where I'm going with this.

I'm not advocating for everyone to be rail thin sticks, I'm just telling you that it's bad (in the same way clogged arteries are bad) to be fat; ask a god damn doctor if you don't believe me.

Still, you've got freedom of choice, so whatever.

-Thomas

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

but obesity is in the genes my friend. =)

11:09 PM, November 07, 2004  
Blogger T Kwong said...

Even that's contestible. While certain Genetic factors may make you more likely to be obese (e.g. overactive carbohydaraete to fat enzymes) that is not in and of itself enough to explain the growing trend towards obesity in Americans.

More often then not, studies that compare ancestoral obesity often fail to factor in enviromental pressures towards obesity. You are overweight because your parents are overweight can often be attributed to diet while growing up and is not due to genetics.

The whole, "obesity is genetic," is not true, it can be in some cases, but mostly it's bullshit.

-Thomas

8:38 AM, November 08, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home