Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Mass Trauma

I haven't been to a religious service in some time for a variety of reasons. I'm fairly agnotstic and organized religion isn't my cup of tea, so that's a big part of it. Logstically, I've just been too busy to think about it.

Moreover, I think I just really hate the feel of any kind of service. They always make me feel so constrainted, I always fidget.

It's probably my dislike of rituals. In explaination: I believe rituals are designed to reinforce faith, to give a physical action to provide people with the mechanisms to make their faith real enough to believe.
//My favorite examlpe of this Amitavah Buddhism. Simply chant, "Amitavah," to get to nirvana, the ritual is the simple chanting of a name, but it works perfectly as a actualizer because of that simplicity.///

I've always felt faith should feed faith; I'd rather believe because I believe, not because I make it feel real. Ritauls always seem like barriers to faith to me.

Funerals are also tied strongly to religion for me. That may be the other thing.

Good ol' death.

-Thomas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home