Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Fuck 'Em Up, Hang 'Em High (Hate the Player, Hate the Game)

I wish I didn't have to pay for samples.

Actually, I was going to talk about something else, but I've decided to rant on copyrights.

Copyright and other intellectual property protections are a good idea. However, in practice they have become a little too protected. Liscensing fees for commercials is one thing, but if I just want to manipulate it and put it over a phat beat, wouldn't it be better if I just, I didn't have to pay, especially if I'm manipulating it further? I'm not advocating for out and out theft, but, rather, a policy of openess. Ask permission, don't have to pay; manipulate and you don't even have to ask.

I guess this is more against corporate copyrights than anything else (I was going to rip Rhapsody in Blue, fuck you very little Disney), they're the ones that sue you half the time anyway. How corporate copyrights last longer than individual ones is beyond me. I suppose it shouldn't be too big of a shock, though, it's not the first example of corporations having more rights than real people. Which, of course, is absolutely amazing for the future of our society.

Ugh. I feel like shit, I better not be getting sick. Everything from my head to my balls hurts.

-Thomas

6 Comments:

Blogger MC Harv said...

Spartacus in a Pepsi commercial.

3:13 AM, March 16, 2005  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Yup. Spartacus is owed a Pepsi, so everyone stands up and claims "I'm Spartacus!". You have to be careful with laxing copyright laws, 'cuz shit like this happens.

1:52 PM, March 16, 2005  
Blogger T Kwong said...

I'm actually okay with it though because Pepsi probably had to pay through the ass for it. See: licensing for comercials should still cost money.

Stupid Pepsi. I can't drink it anymore because everytime I do I get half of Dispepsi stuck in my head. "Why is this commercial- Why- Why is this commercial going to sell Pepsi?" I've got a sweeet DJ Spooky mix of that song.

-Thomas

2:20 PM, March 16, 2005  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Dispepsi is brilliant.

11:25 PM, March 16, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

what ever happened to crystal clear pepsi? =/

2:07 AM, March 17, 2005  
Blogger T Kwong said...

A victim of poor product differentiation. People got wierded out by it.

-Thomas

6:19 AM, March 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home