Saturday, March 25, 2006

It's Not Because I Don't Like You, I Just Really Need to Close My Eyes for A Minute

Last night, I was lucky enough to have Electric Six destroy my soul. This was a fine experience. Mosh pit at a "dance" concert? Hells yes, hells yes indeed, mother fucker.

Electric Six being ten tons of awesome is neither news-worthy nor the topic of today's discussion. However, their concert is. Like most bands, they have opening bands that are on tour with them. They were your standard dance punk bands, so meh. What stood out to me was how infuriating close to a metal band the second opening act was. Dance punk frequently borrows from metal. Bass lines tend to have similar low rhytmic throbbing, guitar parts tend to borrow similar angular riffs, and most of their drum lines would be ten times better with double kick (well, most things are better with double kick).

This doesn't bother me, I like metal and all, but what does bother me is that this band kept teasing us. Every other song would steal the main line from "Raining Blood" with a slight step change. Maybe it's just me, but if you're going to rip off Slayer lines, you should make a metal band.

Just saying.

-Thomas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home