Monday, April 04, 2005

Wumps-Wha? With Colons?

Recent deaths have made a little irritated about our all-consuming drive to deify the dead. Not that this is a new criticism, but I will never understand the point of not speaking ill of the dead. If someone did terrible or bad things I’m not going to just let it slide because they're dead. Well, for most people you can generally forgive it. Like if that neighbor that always borrows stuff from you and never returns it suddenly became worm food, you're probably going to let it go (especially since you're more likely to get it back). But I'm not talking about Old Man Wilburson from up the block, I'm talking about people like Regan or Paul Wellstone.

I'm not saying that they both didn't do good things in their lives, simply that we let those good deeds overshadow their mistakes and, moreover, it becomes a spew of hypocrisy for their detractors ("Well, I didn't really mean he was an idiot all those times I called him an idiot all those times," blech). Everyone fucks up, so let's stop invoking the name of these newly created saints and move on with our lives. Why talk about how great someone without mentioning their weaknesses, their fallibility? Wouldn't want to make them real people, now would we?

I'm also peeved because I couldn't sleep for two hours due to the sound of mice running around in my ceiling. Nothing I love more then the sound of rodents scampering around above my head.

-Thomas

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Couldn't agree with ya more. White and black is so much easier than balance.

8:48 PM, April 05, 2005  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Oh, Wilburson... Whackiest of the whacky neighbors!

12:45 PM, April 06, 2005  
Blogger ssas said...

"Nothing I love more then the sound of rodents scampering around above my head."

And pooping. Don't forget the pooping.

6:02 PM, April 07, 2005  
Blogger T Kwong said...

Hey, Ol' Man Wilburson was the greatest! Always mumbling around that pipe, never giving us the rocks we through through his windows, he was the coolest badass muthasucka ever.

Sex- I try not to think about that part.

-Thomas

7:35 AM, April 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home