Thursday, September 22, 2005

You Don't Have to Be a Dick

I go to a fair number of concerts. Not having to pay for them really helps that, but that's not the point of this discussion. I go to a fair number of metal shows (when they pop up) and it's almost always a good time. I have no problems with mosh pits; you want to shove me around, that's fine, whatever, I'll shove you back. Hey! You feel down, let me help you up. (Good) Metal shows are great, there's some fun shoving and headbanging, but it's unspoken that we're all here to have a good time and go back to work / school in the morning with no extra bleeding or broken bits (again, these are good metal shows).

Last night, I went to see Converge, probably the most polite metal band ever. Now, the thing with Converge, is that they're often billed as hardcore, so that meant a lot of hardcore kids showed up. Now, I wasn't too sure what that would entail at the time as all I know about harcore kids at shows is that metal kids are supposed to hate hardcore kids, but being me and progressive, I thought to myself, "it can't be that bad."

Wow was I wrong.

Apparently the thing to do for hardcore kids is to windmill your fists and feet as fast as you can; hitting and kicking people at will. I got a couple of these wonderful random whacks and I just got agitated. What's the fun of going to a show if all you do is get your jazzercise out of the way? Why, for the love of everything wonderful in this world, do hardcore kids feel the need to swing their fists about? Can't we go back to the nice moshing? Do you jack-asses really need to kick me because you're swinging your legs about? I'm confused here!

What made it even moronic was when one of the guys - we'll call him Redshirt - hit me in the back with his windmilling fists and didn't stop to apologize for the second time(my expereince in metal shows is that if you accidentaly do something to someone, you get a very fast apology), I did the only thing I could think to do and put a foot above his knee and pushed him back. He then got all anrgy looking and went back to his jazzercise. Huh? Look, I understand you want to fight someone, but do you have to do it in here, where I am?

So here's my open letter to the dumb-fucks that apparently make up the hardcore crowds:

Dear Hardcore Crowds,
You don't have to be a dick at shows, really.

Love,
Thomas
P.S. The way to impress women probably doesn't include grabbing them off the wall and then throwing them at a different wall.

Not much of a letter, but I think it has to be pretty straightforward.

I hate people

-Thomas

2 Comments:

Blogger MC Harv said...

I think being at a show gives people the idea they have the right to be a dick, to many different capacities, and at many different types of shows. I've never understood it myself. I think people deep down really want to be assholes and as soon as the unwritten contract to do so is presented to them, they'll sign it in a heartbeat, and with an evil smirk.

Oh, and in blood.

3:24 PM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger T Kwong said...

*sigh* You're probably right. I've just never been at a show that bad.

-Thomas

4:06 PM, September 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home