Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Oh, and Then There Were Protesters

Where does time go?

I am full of detachment today. I don't want to do anything, I feel irritable, cranky, and fuck. Anyway, I got a call while I was DJing yesterday, the conversation went about as follows:
Me: Radio K.
Caller: Hi, is this Thomas?
Me: Yup, what can I do for you?
Caller: I have a question and a request.
Me: Okay, shoot.
Caller: I heard you were a, "mixie," is that true?
Me: ... A what?
Caller: A, "mixie," half-asian, half-white.
Me: Oh, yeah it's true, why?
Caller: Well, I'm a mixie too. [She may have said something after that, I don't really remember]
Me: ... Okay, what can I play for, you oh fellow, "mixie?"
Caller: ... [Indignant] Fine, I guess you didn't want to have me call, but anyway, I would like to hear...
The relavent bit was over at that point, but a few things stand out:
1) I've never heard, "mixie," in my entire life.
2) That she got all huffy.
3) Who the hell was this girl and who did she hear I was mixed from?

I mean, I've been on the radio a while, but that creeped the shit out of me.

-Thomas

4 Comments:

Blogger T Kwong said...

Shits, man.

Glad to know my confusion wasn't just me.

-Thomas

10:11 AM, November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she meant, "muggle." You're not half-wizard are you?

12:26 PM, November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very weird. I've actually been stopped on the street and asked if I was mixed race. Very freaky. Why the hell do people care?

And I've never heard "mixie" before. In fact, I hate it. It sounds... yuck. Not good. Creepy. There's probably a reason she's the only one that uses it.

12:09 PM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger T Kwong said...

Xopl- I am half-wizard, half-wolfman.

Anonymous- I've never understood it either. "It's so novel! A person of mixed bloods!"

-Thomas

12:14 PM, November 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home